I was craving biscuits today, and decided to come up with a recipe for jammy dodgers and Custard creams, two of my favorite classics. These are not only dairy free but plant based and vegan so they can be enjoyed guilt free. The jam is home made using chia seeds making them full of omega-3, fiber, and protein all of which are essential for a healthy body.
What you will need:
- Homemade vegan Jam (recipe here)
For the Biscuits:
- 25g Caster sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 50g Vegan Butter (I use pure olive oil spread and its amazing)
- 100g plain flour
- 25g ground almonds
- 25g self raising flour
- 3 tbsp almond milk
- 1 tbsp soda water
For the Filling:
- 3tbsp icing sugar
- 25g butter
- 1tsp vegan custard (I love Alpro)
For the Biscuits:
- Firstly, pre heat your oven to 180 c. Then line two baking trays with grease proof paper.
- Mix together your plain, self raising and almond flour.
- Cream together your butter and sugar, adding half the flour mix once complete.
- Mix together the flour and the butter and sugar and then add the vanilla, soda water and almond milk.
- Add the rest of the flour mix and combine using your hands to form the dough. If it is too dry try adding almond milk a tbsp at a time.
- Flour a clean surface and roll out your dough. I created the traditional circle shape and some stars as I LOVE stars, to be a bit different.
- In the center of half your shapes cut out a smaller circle, I used a heart as that’s whats used in Jammy Dodgers and I thought it looked cute.
- Keep rolling out the dough until you have used it all, the mixture should make about 8 biscuits (16 in total 8 for the top half having the center cut out, and 8 bases)
- Place the biscuits in the oven for 10-12 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove and allow to cool.
For the Center:
- Add 3 tbsp icing sugar and 25g vegan butter to a bowl, creaming together.
- Add 1 tsp vegan custard and mix. Spoon onto all bases.
- Do as for the custard creams, then also add a small amount of jam in the center.
- Add the top and press down.
- To finish dust with icing sugar.
I’d love to know if you try baking these so tweet me @emilyxjane or intagram a picture @emilyplantbasedbakery. Also leave a comment of some of your favorite baked goods you’d love to see made vegan. xx