Today is my parents anniversary, and to celebrate of course I had to make them a cake! My parents love fruit cake so that was the obvious choice. Covered in marzipan with cherries on top, its the perfect anniversary cake.
What you will need:
- 75g self raising flour
- 25g ground almonds
- 25g coconut sugar
- 8 tbsp coconut milk
- 25g dried mixed fruit (soaked in hot water)
- 5 glace cherries chopped
- 8 tsp raisin syrup
- 9 cherries
- 50g vegan butter
- Golden marzipan
- Icing sugar to dust.
- Pre heat the oven to 180c and prepare a cake tin by greasing it with vegan butter and dust over flour.
- Boil a cup of water and place in the mixed fruit, to soak.
- Cream together the butter and the sugar.
- Stir in the ground almonds and sift in the self raising flour.
- To add moisture to the mix add the coconut milk and the raisin syrup.
- Drain and stir in the dried mixed fruit and the chopped glace cherries.
- Spoon the mix into the cake tin and even out, placing in the oven for 15 minutes or until golden.
- Remove cake and place on cooling wrack.
- Roll out marzipan on an icing sugar dusted surface, large enough to cover the cake.
- Place the cake tin over the marzipan and cut a circle around the tin template.
- Place the marzipan over the cake and press down on the edges with a fork to create a patterned edge.
- Place the Cherries over the cake in any decorative way you like.
- I used a small love heart cutter to indent love hearts into the marzipan to create a subtle love heart pattern.
- As a finishing touch dust with icing sugar.